The importance of Gartner’s Magic Quadrant
Gartner is a company recognized for providing impartial, high-quality consulting and research on the IT market, as well as providing valuable information and insights to the entire technology community.
Through its more than 15,000 employees, Gartner also contributes to determining the IT standards in place and the market trends that will become a reality in the future. Its reach is global, being located in more than 100 countries.
Also, they have become a benchmark in the industry for maintaining high ethical standards and conducting meticulous research, while remaining independent.
Are you interested in the subject? Find out below the relevance of Gartner’s work and the importance of its Magic Quadrant and Critical Capabilities for PAM report for the technology market.
Gartner not only provides important research for the technology market but also tools to help CIOs and IT leaders navigate an ever-changing world. In addition, it promotes conferences to help bring together leaders to talk about strategic actions for making commercial and technical decisions.
Among the extensive research documentation that Gartner provides to the community, there is a chart comparing competitors in many IT industries. They call it the Magic Quadrant.
What is the Gartner Magic Quadrant?
The Gartner Magic Quadrant uses a uniform set of assessment criteria with results plotted in a graphical form showing the competitive positioning, facilitating the verification of how vendors of digital products and services are meeting requirements and working in relation to Gartner’s market vision.
The Magic Quadrant is the first step in understanding what these vendors and their associated technology do. This tool helps you understand visions, strategic roadmaps, and all their ability to operate according to your specific needs.
Moreover, the report is an excellent tool for:
- discovering the relative competitive positions of digital services and technology vendors that compete globally;
- reflecting on individual business goals, needs, and priorities;
- contextualizing the assessment through the perspectives of the industry, region, and company size.
To fully understand the results of the Magic Quadrant, one needs to understand the meaning of each category or quadrant of the graph:
- Challengers: These are companies with excellent ability to execute. However, they are not yet able to direct the market in one direction.
- Leaders: These are companies that, in addition to offering a comprehensive set of tools, also have a vision and guide the market with new products and features.
- Visionaries: These are innovators with a strong understanding of current and future market trends, but still do not have the ability leaders have to execute;
- Niche Players: Here are the vendors that perform well in specific tasks, but their solutions are still quite limited in other aspects and functionalities.
What are Gartner’s Critical Capabilities?
As an essential companion to the Gartner Magic Quadrant, this methodology provides an insight into the capabilities of the vendors’ products and services, adding value to the assessment offered by the Magic Quadrant.
This research is used to better investigate the classifications of products and services based on key resources defined for important and differentiating use cases.
Gartner’s Critical Capabilities document is a comparative analysis that scores competing products or services against a set of critical differentiators identified by Gartner.
It shows which products or services are best suited in various use cases to provide actionable advice on which products/services you should add to your vendor lists for further evaluation.
Gartner’s Critical Capabilities and Magic Quadrant together offer powerful information such as:
- Deeper insights into product and service offerings from different vendors.
- Understanding of which products and services are best suited for common usage scenarios.
- Assistance in strategic planning and development of different value propositions with a comparative analysis of the main software, technology, or service offerings.
How important are Gartner’s Critical Capabilities for PAM?
Privileged Access Management (PAM) tools help organizations provide secure privileged access to critical assets, as well as meet compliance requirements by managing and monitoring privileged accounts and access.
According to Gartner in its Magic Quadrant and Critical Capabilities reports, PAM tools offer features that enable security and technology leaders to:
- Discover privileged accounts on systems, devices, and applications for subsequent management.
- Automatically manage and protect passwords and other credentials for administrative, service, and application accounts.
- Control access to privileged accounts, including shared and emergency access accounts.
- Isolate, monitor, record, and audit privileged access sessions, commands, and actions.
To qualify for inclusion in the PAM quadrant, vendors must deliver a service that has the following characteristics:
- Tools to discover, map and report on any privileged accounts across multiple devices, applications, terminals, and systems.
- A reinforced, secure, and highly available vault to store secrets and credentials.
- User interfaces for reviewing privileged credentials.
- Tools to automatically rotate and manage credentials for service, administrative, device, system, and application accounts.
- Support for role-based administration, including centralized policy management.
- Privileged account reporting and analysis tools.
As mentioned, Gartner is an institution that indicates the best technologies in its consulting services, so the better a solution is placed in its reports, the greater the chances of it being recommended.
Because of this, companies constantly invest in the development of their solutions, significantly increasing the quality and growth speed of their market.
senhasegura in The Gartner Magic Quadrant
Senhasegura has participated in the last two Gartner Magic Quadrants in the field of PAM (Privileged Access Management) solutions.
In 2018, the senhasegura solution was in the Visionaries category, and in 2020, it was included in the Challengers category, receiving recognition for all the work done.
According to Gartner, senhasegura stands out in aspects such as:
- Very efficient RDP proxy function.
- Excellent performance for session management.
- Advanced account discovery and mapping features.
Also, it received recognition for its great progress in the area of DevOps and the analytical resources in its PAM solution.